In this article, you will understand the basic information about the National Institute of Design(NID) and the nid entrance exam known as the Design Aptitude Test (DAT).
Along with this, you can find all the important details and updates related to NID-DAT 2024. Notification, Important Dates, Exam Patterns, Syllabus, Previous Years’ Question Papers, Study Materials, etc will be updated on this page
Are you interested in a career in design? The NID Design Aptitude Test (DAT) may be the first step on your journey.
The DAT is a competitive exam that assesses your aptitude for design and your practical skills in design.
What is NID?
NID full form is the National Institute of Design one of the premier design institutes in India. It offers UG and PG Programs in design(B.Des and M.Des.).
About the National Institute of Design (NID)
NID is internationally recognized as one of the leading design schools in the country. NID is recognized as an ‘Institution of National Importance’ by the Government of India.
NID provides degree programs in different design fields, such as industrial design, communication design, textile and apparel design, furniture and interior design, transportation and automobile design, and more.
NID also conducts research activities and consultancy projects, collaborating with industries, government organizations, and other institutions.
NID Colleges in India
There are 7 NIDs in India. The main campus of NID is situated in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
NID has established other campuses and centres across the country as follows:
- NID Ahmedabad
- NID Bengaluru
- NID Andhra Pradesh
- NID Madhya Pradesh
- NID Haryana
- NID Assam
NID Courses – DAT 2024
There are various courses offered by the National Institute of Design (NID) across its seven campuses in India.
These courses are offered at the undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) levels.
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.)
- B.Des. in Industrial Design,
- B.Des. in Communication Design,
- B.Des. in Textile,
- B.Des. in Apparel,
- B.Des. in Lifestyle & Accessory Design,
- B.Des. in Ceramic & Glass Design,
- B.Des. in Furniture & Interior Design,
- B.Des. in Film & Video Communication,
- B.Des. in Graphic Design,
- and B.Des. in Foundation Programme.
- Master of Design (M.Des.)
- M.Des. in Animation Film Design,
- M.Des. in Digital Game Design,
- M.Des. in Fashion Design,
- M.Des. in Furniture & Interior Design,
- M.Des. in Information Design,
- M.Des. in Interaction Design,
- M.Des. in Lifestyle Accessory Design,
- M.Des. in New Media Design,
- M.Des. in Product Design,
- M.Des. in Strategic Design Management,
- M.Des. in Transportation & Automobile Design,
- and M.Des. in Universal Design.
- NID also offers some postgraduate diploma programs and short-term courses.
- NID also offers some Ph.D. Programs.
What is NID-DAT 2024?
The DAT is an entrance exam conducted by NID to provide admission to design UG and PG programs.
|NID-DAT Full Form||National Institute of Design Aptitude Test (NID DAT)|
|NID-DAT for||Admission to Design courses offered by NIDS and some private colleges|
|Courses||B.Des. and M.Des.|
|Official website NID||https://admissions.nid.edu|
|Beneficial for||Those who want to make a career in designing|
|Level||2 (Pre and Mains)|
NID DAT – Basic Information
NID for B.Des. 2024 – DAT Notification and Important Dates
Every year, the official notification for DAT is issued by NID in the month of October.
The tentative dates of important events based on NID DAT 2023 are given in the table below so that students get a basic idea about the NID exam schedule.
|Events for NID B.Des.||Expected Date|
|2024 Notification release date||October 2023|
|Online Application starts||October 2023|
|Last date to Apply||December 2023|
|Correction in the Application form||December 2023|
|Release of Admit Card||January 2024|
|NID-DAT (Prelims) Exam Date 2024||January 2024|
|NID-DAT (Prelims) Result||March 2024|
|NID-DAT (Mains) Exam Date||April 2024|
|NID-DAT (Mains) Result||May 2024|
|NID-DAT Counseling||May 2024|
NID-DAT 2024 – Important Dates
NID-DAT 2024 Exam Centres – Cities
The NID DAT (National Institute of Design – Design Aptitude Test) exam is conducted in various cities across India.
While the exact list of exam centres may vary from year to year, here are some common cities where the exam centres have been located in the past:
|Delhi, NCR||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Bengaluru, Karnataka||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Chandigarh, Punjab||Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|Hyderabad, Telangana||Nagpur, Maharashtra|
|Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh||Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||Patna, Bihar|
|Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
NID-DAT 2024 – Exam Centre Cities
NID-DAT 2024 – Exam Pattern
The exam has two stages: prelims and mains, and this applies to both B.Des and M.Des programs.
Exam Pattern for the Pre-Exam –
Major points of the pattern of the exam are covered in the following table:
|Question Type||MCQs (Drawing / Sketching / Madel Making)|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
NID Entrance Exam Pattern 2024
- there are some differences between the entrance exams for B.Des (Bachelor of Design) and M.Des (Master of Design) programs in NID DAT (National Institute of Design – Design Aptitude Test).
- Here are the key distinctions:
|Test duration||3 Hours||2 ½ hours|
|Types of Questions||Both Objective and Subjective||Same as B.Des.|
|Medium of the test||English||English|
NID DAT 2024 Mains (Studio Test and Personal Interview)
The DAT Mains for both the B.Des and M.Des programs encompass diverse test components, as detailed below.
- The DAT Mains for the B.Des program consists of multiple test components, including an offline Studio Test.
- On the other hand, for the M.Des program, the DAT Mains comprises both a Studio Test and a Personal Interview. The Studio Test, which is conducted offline, takes place at NID campuses. However, the Personal Interview is conducted online.
NID DAT Eligibility Criteria 2024
Every year, the National Institute of Design (NID) releases the eligibility criteria for the B.Des and M.Des programs. Some parameters might be changed in 2024, in this case student should check the official notification.
In this article, we are sharing eligibility criteria for both the UG and PG program for design of NID in the table below –
|Age limit for B.Des. in NID||20 years for General23 years for SC/ST/OBC-NCL25 years for PwD|
|Age limit for M.Des. in NID||30 years for General33 years for SC/ST/OBC-NCL35 years for PwD|
|Educational Qualification for B.Des.||Passed 12th Class|
|Educational Qualification for M.Des.||Bachelor’s degree of either 3 or 4 years from any recognized university|
NID DAT 2024 – Syllabus for B.Des. Entrance
Here are some points about the NID DAT (National Institute of Design Design Aptitude Test) syllabus for both the Prelims and Mains exams that can be included –
NID DAT 2024 Syllabus for B.Des. Entrance – Prelims
The NID DAT Prelims syllabus for B.Des. (Bachelor of Design) covers a wide range of topics related to design and creativity.
The syllabus includes various aspects of design such as innovation, theme development, and design theory. It focuses on enhancing imagination and creative thinking through exercises and activities.
- Innovation in Design and Creative Thinking:
- Exercises on imagination
- Lateral thinking
- Creative thinking & writing
- Visual Communication and Composition:
- Graphics & pictograms
- Principles of composition
- Elements & Principles of Design
- Exploring Form, Function, and Perception:
- Natural & geometrical form
- Form & function
- Understanding light & shade
- The Role of Color and Visual Effects:
- Colour psychology & optical illusions
- Colour, pattern & texture
- Usage of colour in compositions
- Developing Skills and Techniques:
- Drawing fundamentals
- 3D visualization
- Stimulating Inspiration and Design Development:
- Inspiration & design development
- Developing observation
- Inspiration & Creativity
- Evaluating Design and Visual Perception:
- Good design vs. bad design
- Optical illusion
- Visual logic
- Enhancing Presentation and Communication:
- Presentation techniques
- Picture analysis
- Story pictures
- Cultivating Artistic Expression:
- Imagination & doodling
- Expression & emotion
- Memory drawing
- Understanding Context and Theme:
- Theme development
- Mood, theme & colour inter-relationship
- Developing themes & colour associations
- Technical Skills and Precision:
- Use of measurements, scale & proportions
- Developing observation
- Foreshortening & perspective
Overall, the syllabus aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of design concepts and techniques, fostering creativity and inspiring students to develop their unique design styles.
NID DAT 2024 Syllabus for B.Des. Entrance – Mains
- Questions that are commonly asked during an interview.
- Techniques and methods for manipulating materials.
- Simulated interviews to practice and prepare for the actual interview.
- Exercises involving audio and visual elements.
- The process of generating and developing ideas over time.
- The significance of non-verbal communication through body language.
- Engaging in doodling as a creative and expressive activity.
- Previous studio tests and interview questions were used in the past.
- Tips and suggestions for performing well in an interview.
- Enhancing creative thinking abilities.
- Providing guidance on creating an effective portfolio.